Community engagement co-ordinator
English PEN has an opportunity for a freelance community engagement co-ordinator
You will be responsible for co-ordinating English PEN’s successful project with refugees and asylum seekers. This will include co-ordinating workshops, liaising with writers, facilitators and partners, organising guest writer visits, co-ordinating and editing end-of-year publication and event, alongside general administration of the project.
- Minimum two years’ experience managing community engagement workshops required
- 12-month fixed-term freelance contract; on average two days a week, irregular work pattern subject to demands of the role
- Equivalent to £8k-10k salary
About English PEN
English PEN is a registered charity promoting the freedom to write and the freedom to read. We campaign to defend freedom of expression in the UK and around the world; hold public events to showcase the best in contemporary literature; support literary translation by awarding grants to publishers and work with communities across the UK.
- At least two years’ experience managing community engagement programmes
- Experience in working as part of a team
- Proven ability to engage and communicate successfully with young people and members of a wide range of communities
- Experience in working in schools
- Ability to deal tactfully with sensitive and challenging situations
- Skilled in managing relationships with multiple partners
- Experience in project management
- Extremely well organised and able to respond quickly to new challenges
- Ability to ensure that the project complies with regulations and good practice
- Knowledgeable about literature and international literature
- Demonstrates genuine passion for creative learning and connecting communities with arts opportunities
- Has open two-way discussions with others, shares information, actively responds to suggestions
- Ability to work independently
- Takes timely decision, seeks ideas from others regardless of hierarchy.
- Shows appreciation, loyalty, fairness and respect for all colleagues.
- Works effectively under pressure.
English PEN is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to attracting applications regardless of age, race, gender, sexuality, disability or religion.
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you are suitable for the role to email@example.com by 9am on Friday 31 March.
Volunteer with us
English PEN volunteers play a vital role in delivering our busy annual programme of events. From manning PEN information desks at festivals, cultural centres and special events around the country to writing reports for the English PEN website, there are a number of different ways to get involved in helping out with English PEN’s public-facing activities.
To receive volunteering opportunity mail-outs from us, please send your name, location and preferred email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.