Administrative assistant – three months, three days a week
Salary: £900 monthly
Opportunity in a leading literature and human rights charity, working three days a week for three months starting March 2017
English PEN is the founding centre of an international writers’ association, working to promote the freedom to write and the freedom to read in the UK and around the world. We have an opportunity for someone seeking a career in arts administration or campaigning.
English PEN promotes literature and free speech through four main programme areas:
Advocacy – international and in the UK
English PEN campaigns for persecuted writers around the world. In the UK we work to ensure free speech is protected, including lobbying to reform the libel laws in the UK.
Our education work involves programming creative writing workshops in refugee centres and schools in the UK.
Writers in Translation
We deliver a series of grants to publishers to promote the readership of world literature in translation in the UK and play an active role in the translation sector.
Events and prizes
Through a programme of public events and prizes we celebrate excellence in writing and showcase new voices.
This is a three-month role, three days a week, joining English PEN’s staff team based at the Free Word Centre in Clerkenwell, London.
The role of administrative assistant is to support English PEN’s work across its translation and events programmes, providing assistance to other members of the team when required.
Duties will include:
- Translation programme support – providing administrative support to the manager of the programme. This will include: administering grant applications; logging data; liaising with publishers and assessors.
- Event support – assisting in the planning and delivery of key public events including the London Book Fair. This will include: supporting the manager of the programme in organising and setting up events.
- Communications support – providing communications support to programmes. This will include: updating social media posts; drafting bulletins; updating website; fielding inquiries.
- General office support – providing administrative support to the English PEN team.
- Any other duties as required.
We would welcome applications from individuals who are:
- Great communicators, both written and verbal
- Enthusiastic and motivated with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Quick thinkers
- Calm and professional under pressure
- Proficient in using digital platforms
- Experienced in data entry
- Able to manage own workload
- Flexible and well organised
- Resourceful with an ability to use initiative
- Interested in other cultures
- Eager to promote free speech and new writing from unheard voices
- Interested in English PEN’s work in literature and free speech
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining why you are applying for the position to email@example.com by 5pm, 21 February 2017
English PEN is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to attracting applications regardless of race, gender, sexuality, disability or religion.
Volunteer with us
English PEN volunteers play a vital role in delivering our busy annual programme of events. From manning PEN information desks at festivals, cultural centres and special events around the country to writing reports for the English PEN website, there are a number of different ways to get involved in helping out with English PEN’s public-facing activities.
To receive volunteering opportunity mail-outs from us, please send your name, location and preferred email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.