English PEN protests the death threats received by El Imparcial del Istmo director Gonzalo Dominguez Monroy and two of his reporters, Felipe Ramos Cruz and Carlos Dominguez Monroy.
Newspaper director Gonzalo Dominguez Monroy, and reporters Felipe Ramos Cruz and Carlos Dominguez Monroy have reportedly received a number of anonymous death threats by phone, email and letter since they began publishing news on drug-related organised crime six months ago. The threats have reportedly intensified over the past month.
On 8 October, three of the newspaper’s employees; van driver Mateo Cortés Martínez and delivery and sale workers Flor Vásquez López and Agustín López Nolasco, were shot repeatedly at close range. This fatal incident has led to serious concern for the three journalists’ safety, and the safety of all of those working for the regional newspaper in Oaxaca.
PEN is calling on the authorities to carry out a full investigation into the death threats and killings and to safeguard the right to liberty, security and freedom of expression for these and other journalists in Oaxaca.
For more information, see http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR410342007?open&of=ENG-MEX).
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send appeals to arrive as quickly as possible, in Spanish or your own language:
– expressing concern at the murder of press workers Mateo Cortés Martínez, Flor Vásquez López and Agustín López Nolasco on 8 October 2007 near Tehuantepec;
– expressing concern that their colleagues Gonzalo Dominguez Monroy, and reporters Felipe Ramos Cruz and Carlos Dominguez Monroy, as well as other workers at El Imparcial del Istmo, have received death threats;
– calling on the authorities to ensure that Gonzalo Dominguez Monroy, Felipe Ramos Cruz and Carlos Dominguez Monroy receive protection measures to guarantee their safety in accordance with their wishes;
– calling for a full, prompt and impartial investigation by the federal authorities into the killing of Mateo Cortés Martínez, Flor Vásquez López and Agustín López Nolasco and death threats against Gonzalo Dominguez Monroy, Felipe Ramos Cruz and Carlos Dominguez Monroy;
– reminding the authorities of their duty to ensure those responsible for attacks on media workers are held to account in order to prevent future attacks and create a climate in which journalists can exercise their right to freedom of expression without fear of reprisal.
Special Federal Prosecutor on Crimes against Journalists
Lic. Octavio Alberto Orellana Wiarco
Fiscal Especial para la Atención de Delitos Cometidos contra Periodistas
Procuradoría General de la República
Av. Paseo de la Reforma #211-213
Col. Cuauhtémoc, Del. Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06500, México D.F., MEXICO
Fax: 52 55 53 46 09 08
Salutation: Dear Sir/Señor Fiscal Especial
Governor of Oaxaca
Lic. Ulises Ruiz Ortiz
Gobernador del Estado de Oaxaca
Carretera Oaxaca-Puerto Angel, Km. 9.5, Santa María Coyotepec, Oaxaca, Oaxaca C. P. 71254, MEXICO
Fax: 52 951 502 0530 (if a voice answers, ask “tono de fax, por favor”)
Salutation: Señor Gobernador/Dear Governor
Attorney General of Oaxaca
Lic. Evencio Nicolás Martínez Ramírez
Procurador del Estado de Oaxaca
Avenida Luis Echeverría s/n, Col. La Experimental, San Antonio de la Cal, Oaxaca, Oaxaca 71236, MEXICO
Fax: 52 951 511 5519
Salutation: Dear Attorney General/Estimado Procurador
Mexican Ambassador in London
HE Juan Jose Bremen
8 Halkin Street
President of the National Human Rights Commission
Dr. José Luis Soberanes Fernández
Presidente de la Comisión Nacional de Derechos Humanos (CNDH)
Periférico Sur 3469, 5º piso, Col. San Jerónimo Lídice, México D.F. 10200, MEXICO
Originally posted with the url: www.englishpen.org/writersinprison/bulletins/mexicojournalistsreceivedeaththreatsinoaxaca/