Prison Rules in Cameroon: Enoh Meyomesse writes from jail

The writer Enoh Meyomesse has been detained in a Cameroonian prison since November 2011. He faces no charges.

Meyomesse, 58, is the author of numerous books and is a founding member of the Cameroon Writers Association. He was arrested on 22 November 2011 and charged with attempting to organise a coup , possessing a firearm, and aggravated theft. Meyomesse denied all charges and maintained that he had been arrested because of views expressed in his writings.

Since his arrest, all charges against him have been dropped, but Meyomesse remains detained. Furthermore, a judge recently ordered an extension of Meyomesse’s detention until 30 December 2012, by which time the writer will have spent 13 months in prison. PEN have been advocating for Enoh Meyomesse since his arrest.

Meyomesse has recently written an essay describing his experiences in Kondengui prison, which we reproduce here. [NB: The views expressed in this following text are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English PEN or  PEN International.]

Pour la version originale en français, voir ci-dessous.

My Time in Kondengui

Translated by Amy Reid

I arrived in Kondengui on December 22, 2011, at 2 pm. My first days were difficult, although nothing like the thirty days I spent in total darkness in solitary confinement in Bertoua. They were as different as day and night. That said, as soon as I landed in this prison, I was, like everyone else, relieved of many items, notably my cell phones (the prison guards quite simply stole them), my belt, my USB drives, and various other personal effects, all of which, it seems, are forbidden in the prison. But that’s not all: the prison guards—most of whom are real parasites—extorted no less than 12,000 francs from me before I had even made it from the prison’s intake yard, la cour d’honneur, which is off-limits for prisoners, to the second nameless yard that leads to the different sections of the prison.

After being registered by the penitentiary staff, I ended up in Section Four, also known as the “Transition Cell.” That’s where all the new arrivals are sent until a place is found for them in one of the other sections. There I was “welcomed” by the “Commander” and the “Mayor” of the section, who explained the “rules and regulations” to me. Everything has a price. First, I had to undergo an obligatory hair-cut, at my own expense, to make sure I was “clean.” Shaved head. Price: 500 francs. Then, there were the “Mayor’s Dues.” Price: 15,000 francs. If you can’t pay, you’re sent to a cell without bed or light. Yow! More of that Bertoua torture! No way! I quickly hand over the sum, no arguments. Then it is made clear to me that under no circumstances am I to leave the Transition Cell. No question of wandering around in the yard like everyone else. Evidently, I am now in a prison within the prison.

And it doesn’t end there, no. If I want to sit down in the corner where the television is set up, I have to pay 500 francs each time. Then more and more and more… You have to pay for this and for that. Money, money, it’s always about money. One endless scam. Just then, some large aluminum pans are brought into the tiny yard of the Transition Cell. What’s in them? The famous “penal rations.” Food fit for a poor man’s dog—those of the rich certainly wouldn’t touch it. It’s a mix of corn and beans boiled in unsalted water. Disgusting. 10 pm. Everyone to bed. I am assigned to a bed already occupied by another person. We sleep in pairs, head to toe. His feet are right in front of my nose and vice-versa. Hello mosquitoes. Not to mention the roaches and rats, some of which are almost the size of boars.

I’ll spend 38 days in this disgusting place, although admittedly it’s a thousand times better than my solitary cell in the Bertoua police station. I have to cough up another 43,000 francs so I can be moved to an acceptable section of the prison, Section Three. Once there, it’s the same routine. It’s 15,000 francs to be admitted to a cell for “respectable people,” 3,500 francs for the Mayor’s dues for Section Three, another 3,500 for those of the cell I’ve been assigned to. All told, 22,000 francs. Add to this the amount I had to pay to be released from the Transition Cell and the 12,000 francs extorted by the guard. Since the day I was admitted, I’ve had to pull 77,000 francs from my pocket. Translation: it’s best not to be poor in Kondengui. And what if I hadn’t paid all that money? Well, then I would have been sent to the horrendous “Kosovo Section,” so dreaded by the prisoners. The inmates there are packed in, 80 or even 100 to a cell with just 15 beds… which means that 65 to 85 people are left to sleep outside in the section’s yard.  Hello hard ground! Hello homosexuality! Hello assaults! Hello razor blades! Hello spoons filed into pocket-knives! It’s a real hell…

So here I am, with a bed all to myself in a cell for “respectable persons,” and my cellmates are just that. No arguments, no insults, no fights, no drugs, no alcohol, no homosexuality, as in most of the other rooms. I have my own television set that I rent by the week.

My days follow one after the other in a deathly monotony, like the hours on a clock. We are all roused from bed at 4 am by the commotion of the Catholics, who start chanting their morning mass in the section’s yard, with no consideration for the rest of the other inmates.  No hope of falling back asleep, for once they are done, the Pentecostals pick up the baton and start their service. When they’re done, at about 5:30 am, it’s the turn of the mainline Protestants. They finish up their hullabaloo at about 6 am. Dare to ask them to turn down the volume? You’re hit square in the face with a flood of insults. Once out of bed, it’s time for our morning ablutions. Between 6:45 and 7 am, loud whistle blasts. “Court docket! Court docket!”  A trusty, a prisoner who works for the authorities, reads off the list of prisoners called to court so their cases can be reviewed or for sentencing. At 7:30 am, breakfast, the bread never arrives before then. Then I watch the news on Canal 2, the French international channel. At 8 am, I head off to the prison library. Reading and writing until 2 or 3 pm. Return to my cell. Meal. Free time. 5 pm, repeated loud whistle blows. “Roll call! Roll call!” Everyone back in their cells. This is when they check to make sure the prisoners are all accounted for. They have to make sure no one’s managed to escape. 8 pm, dinner. 10 pm, everyone’s in bed. There’s no one left in the section’s yard.

Visitors’ days—namely Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday—are special times for the inmates. It’s our chance to have some contact with our family and friends. But for me, these days are just like all the others because my family has totally abandoned me; no relatives ever visit. “After all that political nonsense and the books where you criticize Paul Biya…” That’s how their thinking goes. Friends, on the other hand, haven’t abandoned me. It’s thanks to their financial support that I’m able to avoid eating the disgusting “prison rations.” For security reasons, I was advised not to make my own meals, as do most of the prisoners who refuse to ingest the prison rations. Why? A poisoning would surely have followed. So I eat food prepared by the informal restaurants organized by prisoners inside the various sections.

At the beginning, the other inmates treated me badly. In the prison yard, they’d bump into me and pick my pockets. Once when I was taking a bath, someone stole my piece of soap, without my noticing. I was also almost victim of an assault. But then, with the television, radio and newspapers reporting non-stop on my situation, their attitude has radically changed. Now everyone refers to me with respect and affection as the “President” or the “Old Man,” because of my white hair. Even the prison guards, who were at first quite disdainful of me, have totally changed. Now, to my surprise, I’m protected in a way by my fellow inmates. One day, a guy who was exercising in the prison yard bumped into me by mistake. He was almost lynched by the other prisoners. “No funny business with our Old Man…”

But what’s hardest for me is my eyesight. After those 30 days in total darkness in Bertoua, it’s starting to go. My greatest worry these days is that before long I’m going to find myself totally blind. In prison, there are no ophthalmologists. For that I’d have to be sent to the hospital. But as long as I’m being held in preventive custody, there’s no question of that. Only prisoners who have been duly sentenced are permitted to be released for a hospital visit. So, as long as I am neither sentenced nor freed, I can’t have any care. That’s how things are here: prison rules.


Ma Vie En Prison

Mes premiers jours ont été difficiles à Kondengui, où je suis arrivé jeudi 22 décembre 2011 à 14 heures, quoique, en comparaison aux trente passés en garde à vue dans le noir total à Bertoua, il n’y avait pas photo. C’était le jour et la nuit. N’empêche, ainsi qu’il est de règle, en atterrissant dans cette prison, j’ai été, dès l’entrée, dépouillé de bien de choses, et notamment, mes téléphones portables (les gardiens de prison les ont purement et simplement volés), ma ceinture, mes clés USB, et divers autres effets personnels, au motif que tout cela était interdit dans la prison. Ce n’est pas tout, les gardiens de prison, cette véritable teigne pour la plupart d’entre eux, m’ont extorqué pas moins de douze mille francs avant de quitter la première cour de la prison baptisée ‘cour d’honneur’, et interdite aux détenus, pour la seconde qui elle, ne porte pas de nom, et qui débouche sur les différents ‘quartiers’ de la prison.

Après la séance d’enregistrement par le personnel pénitencier, j’ai échoué au quartier 4, autrement appelé ‘cellule de passage’. C’est dans celle-ci que sont affectés les entrants, en attendant de leur trouver une place dans l’un des autres quartiers. Accueil par le ‘commandant’ et le ‘maire’ du quartier qui m’assènent le ‘règlement’. Tout se paie. Pour commercer, j’ai été astreint à une séance de coiffure obligatoire à mes frais, pour être ‘propre’. Boule zéro. Prix : 500F. Ensuite, frais de ‘mairie’. Prix : 15000F, faute de quoi, affectation dans la cellule sans lit ni lumière. Aïe ! Encore le calvaire de Bertoua ! Non. Je débourse à toute vitesse la somme sans discuter. Ensuite encore, il m’est rappelé que je ne dois, sous aucun prétexte, quitter la ‘cellule de passage’. Pas question d’aller vadrouiller dans la coure come tout le monde. En clair, je me retrouve en prison dans la prison.

Ensuite encore et encore, si je désire m’asseoir dans le réduit où est placée la télévision, je dois payer à chaque fois 500F. Ensuite encore, encore, encore et encore… Il faut payer ci, il fait payer ça. De l’argent, de l’argent, toujours de l’argent. De l’arnaque en continu. Sur ces entrefaites, de grosses bassines en aluminium sont introduites dans la cour exiguë de la ‘cellule de passage’. Leur contenu ? La fameuse ‘ration pénale’. De la nourriture pour chiens de pauvres, car ceux des riches n’en mangeraient pas. Il s’agit d’un mélange de maïs et de haricots bouilli à l’eau sans sel. Dégeulasse. 22h. Tout le monde couché. Je suis affecté à un lit déjà occupé par une personne. Nous dormons à deux et à l’envers. J’ai ses pieds au niveau de mon nez, et vice-versa. Bonjour les moustiques. Que dire alors des cafards et des rats ont certains ne sont pas loin de ressembler à des sangliers ?

Je passerai 38 jours dans cet endroit infecte, mais mille fois plus confortable que ma cellule de garde à vue à la gendarmerie de Bertoua. Quarante trois mille francs extorqués pour me faire ‘muter’ dans un quartier convenable, le quartier 3. En ces lieux, même chose. Quinze mille francs pour être accepté dans un local pour ‘personnes respectables’, trois mille cinq cents francs pour les frais de ‘mairie’ du quartier 3, trois mille cinq cent francs de nouveau pour ceux du local où j’ai été affecté. Total, vingt deux mille francs. En y ajoutant la somme déboursée pour quitter la ‘cellule de passage’, plus les 12000 francs extorqués par le gardien. Le jour de mon admission, je me suis retrouvé à sortir de ma poche la somme de 77000F. Traduction, à Kondengui, vaut mieux ne pas être pauvre. Je n’aurais pas payé cet argent ? J’aurais été ‘muté’ au terrible quartier du ‘Kosovo’ tant redouté des prisonniers. Les détenus y sont entassés à 80 voire 100 dans des chambres de quinze lits… 65 à 85 personnes dorment ainsi en plein air dans la cour du quartier. Bonjour le sol ! Bonjour l’homosexualité ! Bonjour les agressions ! Bonjour les lames de rasoir ! Bonjour les cuillers limées et transformées en canifs ! Un enfer…

Me voilà enfin disposant d’un lit à moi tout seul et dans un chambre pour ‘personne respectable’. Mes cochambriers le sont effectivement. Pas d’engeulades, pas d’injures, pas de bagarre, pas de drogue, pas d’alcool, pas d’homosexualité, comme dans la plupart des autres chambres. Je dispose d’un récepteur télé à moi tout seul que je loue à la semaine.

Mes journées se déroulent dans une monotonie mourante, telle les heures d’une horloge. Réveil forcé à 4 h du matin par le brouhaha du chant des catholiques qui entament leur messe matinale dans la cour du quartier, indifférents au sommeil des autres détenus. Plus moyen de dormir, car dès qu’il arrêtent, les pentecôtistes prennent le relais avec le leur. Lorsque eux aussi cessent vers 5 h 30, les protestants classiques enchainent. Ils clôturent leur vacarme à eux aux environs de 6 h. Oser leur demander de moins brailler ? C’est un flot d’injures qui vous est balancé à la figure. Descente du lit, ablutions matinales. 6 h 45-7 h. Coups de sifflets stridents. ‘Le parquet !’, ‘le parquet !’ Un prisonnier auxiliaire de l’administration pénitentiaire égrène les noms des personnes convoquées au parquet pour leurs dossiers, instruction ou jugement. 7 h 30, petit déjeuner, le pain n’étant pas livré plut tôt. Puis, revue de la presse de Canal 2 International. 8 h. Direction bibliothèque de la prison. Lecture et écriture jusqu’à 14 h-15 h. Retour à la chambre. Repas. Distraction. 17 h. Nombreux coups de sifflet stridents. ‘Effectifs !’ ‘Effectifs !’ Tout le monde dans les chambres. C’est l’heure de décompte des prisonniers. Il faut s’assurer que personne n’est parvenu à se sauver. 20 h. Repas. 22 h. Tout le monde au lit. Plus personne dans la cour du quartier.

Les jours de visite à savoir, mardi, jeudi, et dimanche, sont spéciaux pour les détenus. C’est l’occasion de contact avec la famille et les amis. Mais ces jours-là sont ordinaires pour moi, car ma famille m’a totalement abandonné, elle ne me rend pas visite. ‘Avec les histoires de politique et de livres où tu critiques Paul Biya…’, telle est son argumentation. Les amis, en revanche, ne m’ont point abandonné. C’est grâce à leur soutien financier que je me nourris, que j’évite de consommer la dégeulasse ‘ration pénale.’ Pour des besoins de sécurité, il m’a été conseillé de ne pas faire moi-même ma cuisine comme la plupart des détenus qui refusent d’ingurgiter la ‘ration pénale.’ Motif ? Un empoisonnement surviendrait inévitablement. Alors, je consomme la nourriture préparée par les restaurants de fortune que tiennent des prisonniers à l’intérieur des quartiers.

Au début, les autres détenus me manquaient de considération. Dans la cour, ils me bousculaient pour me faire les poches. Une fois en prenant mon bain, l’un d’eux a volé mon monceau de savon sans que je ne m’en rende compte. J’ai également failli être victime d’agression. Pui, la télévision, la radio et la presse évoquant continuellement ma situation, leu regard a radicalement changé. A présent, c’est tout le monde qui m’appelle respectueusement et affectueusement ‘président’, ou alors ‘le Vieux’, à cause de mes cheveux blancs. Même les gardiens de prison, au début plutôt méprisants à mon endroit, ont également totalement changé. Je me retrouve ainsi dans une sorte de protection inattendue de la part des autres codétenus. Un jour, l’un d’eux faisant des exercices physiques dans la cour intérieure de la prison, m’a malencontreusement bousculé. Il s’en est fallu de peu pour qu’il ne soit pas lynché par les autres prisonniers. ‘Ne t’amuse pas avec notre Vieux…’ 

Mais ce dont je souffre le plus, c’est de ma vue qui, à la suite de mes 30 jours dans le noir total à Bertoua, est en train de s’en aller. Ma plus grande inquiétude en ce moment est de sombrer, sous peu de temps, dans la cécité. En prison, il n’existe pas d’ophtalmologue. Il faut pour cela que je sois conduit dans un hôpital. Tant que je suis en détention préventive, pas question. Seuls les condamnés sont autorisés à sortir pour un hôpital. Alors, tant que je ne serais pas, soit condamné, soit libéré, pas de soin possible… C’est le règlement de la prison. 

For further information on Enoh Meyomesse, please see Enoh Meyomesse update



Please send appeals:

  • Calling for the immediate release of Enoh Meyomesse on the grounds that he no longer faces any charges;
  • Demanding that he receive proper and urgent medical treatment for his eye condition.

Write to:

President Paul Biya
Fax: +237 22 22 08 70
Email: or
Messages may also be sent via the Presidency’s website:

Minister of Justice
Hon. Minister of Justice Laurent Esso
Ministry of Justice
Fax: +237 22 23 00 05

Prime Minister
Mr. Philemon Yang, Prime Minister
Fax: +237 22 23 57 35

About Cat Lucas

Cat Lucas is English PEN's Writers at Risk Programme Manager

View all posts by Cat Lucas →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *