On 29 March 2016 English PEN presented another of its popular series of ‘Inspirations’ fundraising events.
- Tom Wolfe, The Painted Word
- Sarah Thornton, Seven Days in the Art World
- Junichiro Tanizaki, In Praise of Shadows
- Hans Christian Andersen, The Shadow
- Martin Parr with text by Nicholas Barker, Sign of the Times
- Kate Fox, Watching the English
- Philip Larkin, ‘Days’ from The Whitsun Weddings
- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
- Henry Darger, Art and Selected Writings
- Stephen Grosz, The Examined Life
A short slideshow of images from the event is embedded below, or you can view the images on Flickr.
Several audience members tweeted their reactions to Perry’s talk. We’ve collected a few into a Storify timeline, here.