Hanif Kureishi, Elif Shafak, and Ali Smith are among the writers who have joined English PEN and PEN International in a letter to President Erdoğan calling for the immediate release of VICE News journalist Mohammed Ismael Rasool.
The letter, signed by more than 70 writers from around the world, expresses ‘extreme concern about the current crackdown on freedom of expression in Turkey’ and specifically raises concerns regarding the treatment of the VICE News team who were detained in Turkey on 27 August while reporting in the south-east. Three members of the team were charged with ‘working on behalf of a terrorist organisation’ on 31 August. British journalist Jake Hanrahan and cameraman Philip Pendlebury have since been released and returned to the UK, but there are serious concerns about their colleague Mohammed Ismael Rasool who is still detained.
In the letter, the writers, who also include Monica Ali and Yann Martel, state:
We recognise that Turkey is facing a period of heightened tension. However at such a time it is more important than ever that both domestic and international journalists are allowed to do their vital work without intimidation, reporting on matters of global interest and concern.
A member of the Council of Europe, Turkey is a state party to both the European Convention on Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. It is therefore obliged to respect the right to freedom of expression and ensure that journalists are free to gather information without hindrance or threat.
The letter also highlights Turkey’s ‘routine use of counter-terrorism legislation against the media’ describing it as ‘a long-standing cause of concern for PEN’. The writers end by urging the president to ‘allow the media in Turkey to report fully and freely on events and to release all journalists held solely for the peaceful exercise of their right to freedom of expression’.
PEN is also inviting members around the world to show their concern for Mohammed Ismael Rasool on social media, by writing directly to the Turkish authorities, and by sending messages of support.
Send a message of support
- Send a message of support to Mohammed Ismael Rasool via: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Tweet your support for Mohammed Ismael Rasool with the handle @vicenews and hashtags #FreeViceNewsStaff #FreeRasool
Write to the authorities
- Calling on the Turkish authorities to release Mohammed Ismael Rasool immediately;
- Urging the authorities to allow journalists to fulfil their essential role of reporting events that are in the public interest and of international concern at a time of tension in Turkey and throughout the region;
- Reminding the authorities that Turkey has the obligation to respect the right to freedom of expression under the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), to which it is a state party.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Fax: +90 312 525 58 31
Email: [email protected]
His Excellency Mr. Abdurrahman Bilgic
43 Belgrave Square
Fax: +44 20 73 93 00 66, +44 20 73 93 92 13
Email: [email protected]