Note: This is an advert for a postion that has now been filled. To view current vacanies visit the Work With Us page on our website.
- Deadline: 5pm, Monday 2 March 2015
- Part-time, permanent position at 3.5 days per week
- Salary: £23,000 FTE; £16,100 pro rata
- 25 days annual leave FTE; 17.5 days pro rata with opportunity to join company pension plan after three months
- Located at: Free Word Centre, 60 Farringdon Road London EC1R 3GA
- Reports to: Deputy Director, English PEN
English PEN promotes the freedom to write and the freedom to read. The founding centre of a worldwide writers’ organisation, established in 1921, it is supported by an active membership of leading writers and literary professionals, with an elected board.
Over the past five years English PEN has tripled in size and impact, with successful campaigns promoting the freedom to read and write in the UK and around the world, as well as new programmes working with prisoners, refugees and other socially excluded groups. Our programme to support great literature in English translation has also expanded and we run public events, debates and fundraisers around the year, and award prizes to British and international writers.
We are now looking for a highly organised Membership and Office Administrator with at least two years’ relevant experience, to manage English PEN’s membership database, communicating with members both at the point of recruitment and at the point of renewal, deal with membership queries, support the Deputy Director in prospecting for new members and oversee the general administration of the office.
The Membership and Office Administrator will also assist the Director with administration of the governance of English PEN, which includes organising board meetings and the AGM.
Additionally the successful candidate will support the staff in organising annual events, including fundraisers and award ceremonies.
- University degree
- Experience of successful organisational administration
- Ability to manage a contacts database such as Raiser’s Edge
- Ability to operate effectively in a support role to senior staff
- Ability to deal confidently with suppliers and contractors
- Excellent communications skills, both in writing and verbally
- Able to work as part of a team and with a wide range of partners
- Understanding of the issues affecting English PEN and its stakeholders in the literature and free speech sectors
- Flexible and extremely well organised
- Has two-way discussions with others, shares information, actively responds to suggestions
- Takes responsibility for own work within the overall goal set, shows flexibility and a positive attitude
- Takes timely decisions, seeks ideas from others regardless of hierarchy
- Shows appreciation, loyalty, fairness and respect for all colleagues
- Focuses on own/team contribution to achieving English PEN’s business plan and strategy
- Sets, implements tracks and reports against appropriate performance and development objectives
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 2 March 2015
To apply please send a CV and covering letter, stating your suitability for the role, to [email protected] by 5pm on Monday 2 March 2015.
Please write ‘Membership and Office Administrator Application’ in the subject line of the email.
First interviews will be held on 12 and 13 March 2015. Second interviews will be held on 20 March.
Strictly no agencies please.