At English PEN, we rely on the generous support of our members. You can join us to defend freedom of expression and champion the global exchange of literature and ideas.
People join English PEN for many different reasons, and that’s what helps make our community diverse. As a member, you will:
- Help us to run outreach programmes in schools, prisons and community spaces, encourage new translations through grants and prizes, campaign for authors in the UK and abroad, celebrate new literature through prizes and put on varied events throughout the year
- Join a community of over 1,000 influential and budding authors, bloggers, translators, readers and activists
- Keep up-to-date on our events, international and national campaigning, outreach and translation work
- Have the opportunity to blog on our website in our monthly members’ posts
- Shape our priorities and let us know what matters to you
- Receive an invite to our annual summer party to network and celebrate our joint successes
- Receive voting rights at our AGM
- Receive a personalised membership welcome pack
Who can join?
- English PEN membership is open to everyone. We believe that everyone can be a writer.
What do our members say about us?
- ‘PEN isn’t a luxury. It’s a necessity.’ Margaret Atwood
- ‘English PEN has been a rallying point and a voice for free thought and the free transmission of ideas across borders without censorship or threat for almost a century. Let us support PEN and its work now and for always.’ Stephen Fry
- Have your say – as a member, we invite you to contribute to our members blog
How much does it cost?
- Less than £5 a month; the annual subscription rate is £50
- £10 per year for anyone under 26
- You have the option of paying monthly or quarterly as well as annually
How can I join?
- Follow this link to our online membership form
How else can I support English PEN?
- If you’re interested in donating your time and skills, please contact Sam
- You can make single donations without becoming a member. Just click here