Do you love literature? Are you highly organised and a team player? If so, apply now to join a leading association protecting writers around the world…
|Salary or training bursary:||£23,000 per annum|
|Contract duration:||Fixed term to 31 Dec 2021 full-time|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||12/09/2020 – 23:00|
|Start date:||October 1 2020|
Founded in 1921, English PEN is the founding centre of PEN International, a worldwide writers’ association with 145 centres in more than 100 countries. They are also a founding member of the Free Word Centre. They campaign to protect freedom of expression whenever it is under attack, support writers facing persecution around the world, and celebrate contemporary international writing with literary prizes, grants, events, and via their online magazine PEN Transmissions.
English PEN is looking for a Programme and Administration Assistant to join their team. This role will support the programme management team as English PEN enter their centenary year. This position will provide an opportunity to work across English PEN’s various programmes, including supporting new literature in translation, campaigns for freedom of expression in the UK and internationally, the public events programme, and membership administration.
What you will learn
- Providing general administrative support, including calendar management and minuting of team meetings
- Assisting the development and implementation of effective administration systems and processes to underpin English PEN’s overall operation, including record management and filing
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of membership and programme administration systems
- Assisting with day-to-day finance, including processing invoices and expenses
- Processing new memberships, compiling and maintaining membership information packs, preparing mailings and responding to membership queries
- Compiling membership and programme information on a monthly basis
- Any other administrative support as requested by the Director and/or Head of Finance and Governance
- Providing administrative support to Translation and International Manager on biannual PEN Translates awards, International Translation Day and PEN Transmissions
- Providing administrative support to Events and Partnerships Manager, assisting with the running of events where necessary
- Providing administrative support to Writers at Risk Programme Manager
- Effectively managing your own work programme, and working with colleagues to achieve this
- Being an enthusiastic advocate for English PEN’s values
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Excellent organisation and office administration skills, including excellent attention to detail and a systematic approach
- Excellent IT skills including MS Office (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Ability and willingness to manage a demanding workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills including being an active listener
- Excellent standards of literacy in English and numeracy
- Experience working or volunteering within the arts/not-for-profit sector or within a membership organisation
- Track record for delivering strong and accurate administrative work, with excellent attention to detail and experience of delivering to deadlines
- Experience of communicating orally and in writing with a broad range of individuals and organisations
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as being an enthusiastic team player
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for English PEN’s mission and values
- A passion for literature
- A creative problem solver with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Resilient under pressure and capable of managing a diverse and rapidly changing portfolio of work
- Committed to principles of diversity and equality and implementing these within all areas of work
- A professional and confident manner with a commitment to a high standard of work
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Strong knowledge of literature
- Experience of using social media
- Experience of working on multiple projects and managing a demanding workload
- Log in to your Creative Access account, or register for account to apply for this opportunity.
- Upload your CV, cover letter as ONE document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted).
- Once submitted, applications are final.
- The recruitment process for this role will be managed by Creative Access.