We campaign for freedom of speech and the promotion of literature in the United Kingdom, seeking to address issues arising in relation to border regulations, libel law, and press regulation.
- English PEN is concerned that much in the UK government’s recent Online Harms White Paper puts freedom of expression at risk.
- Our Libel Reform Campaign saw the introduction, in 2013, of the UK’s Defamation Act.
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover: read about our campaign to keep this important piece of literary and social history in the UK.
Previous UK Campaigns
- UK Visas for Visiting Artists – Ensuring UK border regulations are not a barrier to cultural exchange.
- English PEN participated in the debate around the Leveson Inquiry and press regulation.
- Criminal Memoirs – A campaign against the provisions in the Coroners & Justice Bill that curtail the publication of criminal memoirs.
- The Abolition of Seditious Libel and Criminal Defamation in the UK – Cleaning up the statute books.
- Free Speech is No Offence – To ensure protections for free expression in the Religious Hatred Act.