English PEN is looking for a highly motivated and determined director to lead us towards our centenary in 2021, and beyond.
We campaign to protect freedom of expression globally by supporting international writers at risk and opposing censorship in the UK. We promote great writing, by supporting the most exciting new literature in translation, and presenting prizes to outstanding writers. We support young people, prisoners and refugees in developing their own voices. The founding centre of a worldwide network of PEN centres, English PEN counts amongst its members many prominent writers, critics and publishers, as well as students and people at the start of their careers. Its work is more important than ever as the principles and practice of freedom of speech now come under attack with ever greater frequency in ever more insidious ways worldwide.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
* A strong, principled commitment to the value of literature and freedom of expression
* Aptitude for fundraising
* Excellent leadership and strategic skills
* Experience of building and/or managing partnerships
* A good understanding of the writing economy, and the charity sector, and the threats to them
* Financial numeracy
* The flexibility to work effectively in a small organisation and the ambition to grow it into a bigger one
Salary: £50-60k, depending on experience
Closing Date: 8th March 2019 at 5pm
Interview date: 19th March 2019